Tuesday, February 14, 2012

Will's Birth Story - Part 2 - Pregnancy with Will

    Now for the happy ending part of the story.....

The 2011 New Year was here and we could start trying to get pregnant. We ended up pregnant pretty quickly and were looking at a November baby.  This time we both felt this time was going to be different, don't know why we just did.  Brian had a new job that had him working second shift so he was able to go to the first ultrasound.  (I'm a little fuzzy anymore on the exactness of how far along I was but close counts...)    This ultrasound showed that I was 8 weeks along and everything looked good and this baby was due November 21.  Given our past, I pushed for another ultrasound before 12 weeks and so they had me come back in 2 weeks.  At 10 weeks we had more pictures of our growing baby.   They scheduled for me to have a normal OB appt in 4 weeks which will be at 14 weeks.  The first trimester was pretty easy as far as first trimesters go; nausea wasn't too bad but was worse in the afternoon/evening than morning.  I only got sick once and I blame that on the fact I took my pre-natal vitamin in the morning on an empty stomach.
  On the Saturday before Mother's Day which was right around 12 weeks I started spotting again...actually I passed a rather large blood clot.  Brian was not home at the time, working I think.  Given our past I debated on whether to call the doctor right away or not because I figured at this point in the pregnancy there is nothing they can do to stop whatever is happening.  I think I called Brian to let him know what was going on.  I decide to call the doctor's office which is an answering service since it is after hours.  Obviously they told me to go to the emergency room for an ultrasound. 
    We went to the same hospital as before.  We had wait 30-45 min before getting called back.  All I wanted was an ultrasound to see what was going on but apparently an ultrasound is not at the top of the "bleeding pregnant lady" protocol.  First I had to have a catheter put in for a urine test and a vaginal exam....fun, fun... All of that didn't explain anything so guess what they ordered next....an ultrasound.  Except it was Saturday night so they had to call in the ultrasound technician.  We waited another 60+ min for the ultrasound technician to come in and get us.  Again she couldn't tell us anything as she was doing the ultrasound but she did make the heartbeat audible so we knew the baby was still alive.  I think another hour passed before the doctor came in to talk to us and told us everything looked fine except for a small spot where it looks like the placenta had tore a little.  The ER doc put me on bed rest and told me to call my OB Monday for follow up. 
    The next day was Mother's Day Sunday and I tried to stay down as much as possible, but spring is not a good time to try and be on bed rest.  We were planning on planting the garden that weekend so Brian dragged out an old recliner from the basement and took it outside by the garden so I could watch him plant it.  I wasn't a very good patient, but it turned out ok.  When I went to the OB the next day she told me I didn't have to be on bed rest, that they've found it doesn't really help anything, either the placenta is going to tear or its not.  Thank goodness!!!  Even though I didn't have to be on actual bed rest, we decided that I should take it easy and not anything strenuous like carry anything more than 15 pounds. She had me schedule another ultrasound in 4 weeks to check and make sure everything looks ok.
     The next 4 months of pregnancy was pretty uneventful.  Between the regular OB appointments and the follow up ultrasound and the anatomy scan at 20 weeks, I got to know that the baby is ok by either ultrasound or Doppler every other week for the whole 2nd trimester which is great!  We decided not to find out the baby's gender at the 20 week ultrasound.  To be truthful, I didn't want to know but Brian did.  Since it would be hard for one spouse to know and not spill the beans by using he/she, Brian agreed that we wouldn't find out this time.
     Because of the slight uterine abnormality diagnosed in my first pregnancy, the midwife wanted to see another ultrasound at 30 weeks to make sure baby was growing properly.  I went to that appointment and baby appeared healthy and the correct size.

September 21.....

No comments:

Post a Comment