Tuesday, February 14, 2012

Will's Birth Story - Part 1 - Pre Will

I was planning on putting the whole story in one post but as I was typing it kept getting longer and longer so I thought I'd better break it up....

Warning...This story has all things pregnancy/miscarriage/birth related and those are not always pleasant experiences....


Will was born on September 22, 2011 but really I consider his story starting almost 2 years earlier as he was not our first pregnancy.  He was the third...
   In fall of 2009 we finally decided it was time to start our family.  We had been married 3 years and had just finished building our house and were ready to start filling it.  I say "we" because I like to believe that I can control things when really I can only control what is in the Lord's already made plans.  It took us a couple months to get pregnant the first time but in February 2010, we found out we were pregnant.  Brian was working as a construction electrician at the time and was working on a job almost 2.5 hrs away and we decided that he'd only miss work for the 20 week ultrasound appointment so I went to my first prenatal OB appointment by myself at about 7 weeks and found out my due date was November 1 based on the size of the baby on the ultrasound.  My OB office is an OB-GYN and a couple of midwives that all share patients and rotate on call responsibility for actual deliveries.  It has the capabilities to do an ultrasound at the office and they have a TV monitor on the wall for me to view at the same time and technician tells me what is going on.  My next appointment was for 12 weeks and then they would try and find the heartbeat with the Doppler.   They couldn't find the heartbeat at that time but told me I was still pretty early and sometimes the baby is positioned wrong and it can't be found.  I was scheduled to come back at 14 weeks so I wouldn't have to wait and worry for the next 4 weeks.  On Friday of the same week I started spotting.  It was around noon when I called so they did not have any open appointments to do the ultrasound in the office that afternoon so I had to go to the hospital for it.  The ultrasound room at the hospital has no patient monitor and the technician was not allowed to tell me anything.  She had to do the ultrasound and then let the on call doctor read it and then that doctor would call my doctor who would tell me what was going on.  They said it may take a little bit to get all that done so I could either wait there or go home and they would call me.  I opted to go home.  I got home and Brian wasn't home from work yet.  I think it was shortly after I got home I got the call.  There was no heartbeat and in fact there hadn't been for some time, based on the baby's size I had lost it shortly after my first appointment.  They said it could have been due to a slight uterine abnormality that has a piece of tissue like a peninsula, sort of dividing my uterus.  Luckily Brian got home while I was still on the phone with the midwife so I didn't have to be at home by myself after we hung up.  I was able to miscarry naturally and was told we should wait for 1 cycle and then could start trying again.
    So we waited like we were told (I'm a pretty hard-core rule follower) and actually ended up pregnant the first month and would be due April 2011.  We were cautiously optimistic; Brian's mom, sister and sister-in-law all had miscarriages at some point but were able to have a baby the next time.  Again I went to the first appointment by myself only this time there were no ultrasound pictures of a little bean to take home.  This one they called a blighted ovum which means the baby never started growing at all.  Because I was already 7 or 8 weeks and hadn't miscarried naturally it was a bit more concerning because sometimes blighted ovums can turn into cancerous cells.  They wanted me back in a week or two for another ultrasound to make sure everything was gone.  I went back and the doctor wasn't happy with my progress so she wanted to schedule a D&C.  So we did.  At my follow-up appointment after the D&C, the doctor said we should wait at least 3 cycles before trying again.

No comments:

Post a Comment